How to stay safe on the roads at night
No matter how many times you have driven your car, no matter how many miles you have put on your current vehicle, and no matter how long you have been driving throughout your life, driving in the darkness can still pose many challenges. Shadows and light can play tricks on your eyes, and what was easily seen in the sunlight may not so easily show up when the sun goes down. We have some tips for how to stay safe on the roads at night.
Tips for safe nighttime driving
- Make sure your headlights are already properly aimed. This ensures that the road ahead will be as illuminated as possible.
- Keep your windshield clean. If you have specks of dust and smudges on your windshield, those splotches will show themselves with great fanfare if you drive under a street light or face oncoming traffic.
- Dim your dashboard. When it is dark outside, you do not need the dashboard lights on full blast, as they are not competing with sunlight for your attention.
- Turn your eyes away from oncoming headlights. This may go without saying, but oncoming headlights will likely appear right where you are looking. Make sure you avoid looking right at them.
- Take it slower than you usually do. You never know what might jump out at you from the night, and slowing down gives you a better shot at coming to a complete stop in time.
Stay in touch with the Honda of Victoria blog for more tips and tricks!